2022 Challenge 22 Event Fact
2022 Challenge 22 Event Fact Sheet
In the 5 years that we have been hosting this Challenge 22 event, we have raised over $300,000 and have worked with over 8,000 “at-risk” veterans and 1st responders and have not seen a SINGLE suicide amongst those that we have worked with.
The goal this year is $100,000, over 1,000 participants and at least one from every state in the nation.
· Before you go to bed tonight, 22 veterans will have committed suicide: it happens every day!
· With an average of 22 Veteran suicides EACH day, the war at home is more deadly than ALL of our combat missions around the world.
· In 2017 the American Legion designated the Winter Garden Post 63 as the kickoff post to launch a Community Outreach and Suicide Awareness Campaign and fundraiser – called Challenge 22.
· The intent is to eventually host these events in American Legion communities across the nation.
· This event is a modified version of the veteran-inspired “22 with 22 for 22” walks happening around the state, where bonds are formed during a 22kilometer (14 miles) walk, carrying a 22kg (50lbs) ruck sack and typically done in boots and silkies (military gym shorts).
· Our walk (not a run), is 2.2 miles, and can be done in normal clothes, with or without a ruck sack.
· The DATE of the 6th Annual Winter Garden Challenge 22 event is November 12th, 2022, from 10 am – 9 pm, (9 am registration) and taking place Crooked Can Brewery, Winter Garden Florida. We are also offering the option to participate VIRTUALLY. Therefore, anyone not able to make it, can participate from their own hometowns. The virtual registration process is explained on the website www.wgal63.org
· It’s a $22 donation to join the walk as well both virtually and in-person. Please Register on website: www.WGAL63.org
· Social media hashtag #EndVeteranSuicide.
· 2017-2020 primary benefactor was the Florida Dept of American Legion’s PROJECT: VetRelief
· In 2021 we have added SOF Missions to the benefactor list. For more information about SOF Missions go to www.SOFmissions.org
· More than $300,000 in donations and in-kind services has been raised since 2017.
· Additional Tangible Impacts:
· 5,000 veterans, active duty, military spouses, 1st responders, nurses and civilians have had their PTS symptoms cleared thru the RTM Protocol! THIS IS ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!!
· 15 veterans trained in administering the RTM protocol peer to peer here in FL!
· 25 service dogs were trained and paired with a veteran with PTS with 13 more currently in training!
· 2600 veterans and family members thru SOF Missions’ Resiliency Project Connect Care have been provided products and services leading to suicide prevention measures.
· 75 families completed retreats at a “veteran’s ranch” to help them with side effects of PTS!
· 1,200 COVID Care Kits (containing masks and other critical items - $25 value) were distributed across the state of Florida to veterans in need!
· 120 families experienced the Warrior Beach Retreat to help them cope, connect and heal!
· Oversaw the formation of the Florida Veterans Coalition – a group of non-profits from across Florida coming together to collaborate in their quest to help veterans!
· Production of 125 weekly podcasts, “Life After PTSD” to help veterans find the help they need!
· ALL SERVICES and RESOURCES are offered to the veterans and their families for FREE!
· Event Highlights:
· Live band
· Kids activities
· Silent Auction/Raffles
· Lunch, beer, sodas and water
· WWII, Korea and Viet Nam vets honored and can ride in golf carts with JROTC cadets and Sea Cadets.
· 100 and 101 year old WWII vets birthday celebrations
· A replica of the Vietnam Memorial Wall and Global War on Terrorism Wall will be on display.
· Challenge 22 merchandise for sale: T-shirts $20; Challenge coins $10; C22 Patches $8, Stickers $2, pins $5
Need Help Promoting:
· Raffle and Silent auction items needed (see flyer)
· Walkers needed (encourage companies and groups to walk together – (with matching shirts or flags, hats etc) We are striving for 1,500 walkers.
· Virtual participation is an option! Do something 22 times and post it on social media, tag 22 people and register for a $22 donation
· It’s a Family and Community event
· Event time is from 10am-9pm; program 10-11; Ride begins 1115; walk begins 1130am; bock party/celebration 12-9pm.
· Check-in opens at 9:00
American Legion facts
· The American Legion is the largest wartime Veterans service organization in the world with 1.4 million members.
· Just over 11,000 posts throughout the world.
· There are over 1,533,306 Veterans living in the state of Florida – the 3rd largest Veteran population in the United States (only California & Texas have a larger population of Veterans).
· The American Legion provides free, professional assistance to any veteran in filing and pursuing disability benefits with the Department of Veteran Affairs.
· American legion has used its power in several significant ways over its 100yr history:
o Formal formation of the Veterans Affairs (1920s)
o Passage of the GI Bill of Rights for Veteran Education benefits (1940s)
o Signing of the GI Bill for Life bill in 2017
o Signing of the VA Appeals Improvement and Modernization Act
Details about accepting donations:
· All donations are 100% tax deductible. W9 is available upon request.
· Our Tax ID Number is 59-6200719
· Donate via:
o Text to give by sending code C22 to 41-444
o Go directly to our website www.wgal63.org and click on donate
· Fill out form and make checks out to American Legion Post 63 and mail to:
American Legion Post 63
271 W Plant Street, Winter Garden, FL 34787
Check out a video of a previous event to understand more about what a Challenge 22 is https://tinyurl.com/C22event
You Tube Channel for Videos
Facebook Event (apparently 2 created)
https://fb.me/e/43NwaV1Bu (correct info)
https://fb.me/e/2A3FSiMhm (time is currently incorrect - should be 10-3 with 9:00 am registration)
Post 63 Facebook Page
American Legion post 63 Instagram
Tangible Impacts graphic
Donation QR code
We Need Your Stuff flyer
TEXT: How Can I Help? to 407-701-9416 or learn more at www.WGAL63.org